1000 online dating sites in wales
It was at the lowest bridging point of the River Wye, provided a base from which to advance Norman control into south Wales, and controlled river access to Hereford and the Marches.Chepstow Castle was founded by William fitz Osbern, 1st Earl of Hereford, in 1067, and its Great Tower, often cited as the oldest surviving stone fortification in Britain, dates from that time or shortly afterwards.Its site, with sheer cliffs on one side and a natural valley on the other, afforded an excellent defensive location.A Benedictine priory, now St Mary's Church, was also established nearby.Other important industries included shipbuilding – one of the First World War National Shipyards was established in the town – and heavy engineering, including the prefabrication of bridges and, now, wind turbine towers.Chepstow is also well known for its racecourse, which has hosted the Welsh National each year since 1949.The name is first recorded in 1307, but may have been used by the English in earlier centuries.However, the name used by the Normans for the castle and lordship was Striguil (in various spellings, such as Estrighoiel), probably from a Welsh word ystraigyl, meaning a bend in the river.
In the late eighteenth century the town was a focus of early tourism as part of the "Wye Tour", and the tourist industry remains important.
The Lancaut and Beachley peninsulas, opposite Chepstow, were in Welsh rather than Mercian control at that time, although by the time of the Domesday Book Striguil was assessed as part of Gloucestershire.
After the Norman conquest of England, Chepstow was a key location.
This was the centre of a small religious community, the remains of which are buried under the adjoining car park.
Monks, originally from Cormeilles Abbey in Normandy, were there until the Dissolution of the Monasteries.